Map & photos for Markham Neighborhood Association's application for an Urban Trail Permit (UTP) for a Safe Route To School (SR2S) along the City of Portland's unimproved Right of Way (ROW) on SW 30th Avenue between SW Wilbard Street and Huber Street (lower portion) and between SW Huber Street and Maricara Street (upper portion).
Photo numbers correlate to the numbered bubbles indicated on the map. The arrow on each bubble number indicate the direction the photo was taken.
Photos #1-3: View of North entrance to 30th Ave unimproved ROW at Wilbard St. looking South.
Photo #2: View of North entrance to 30th Ave unimproved ROW at Wilbard St. looking South.
Photos #3: View of North entrance to 30th Ave unimproved ROW at Wilbard St. looking South.
Photo #4: View of North entrance to 30th Ave unimproved ROW at Wilbard St. looking North.
Photos #5: View of North entrance to 30th Ave unimproved ROW at Wilbard St. looking North.
* End of Quail Park HOA trail that runs West to 30th & Wilbard and East to Lancaster St. The proposed ROW will run North from Wilbard St to South to Huber and Maricara St.
Photo #6: View of North entrance to 30th Ave unimproved ROW at Wilbard St. looking South.
Same location as Photo #5, above, facing Southward. You can see where the proposed trail will continue straight to Huber St. instead of turning left and heading East along the privately owned Quail Park HOA trail to Lancaster St.
Photo #7: View of North entrance to 30th Ave unimproved ROW at Wilbard St. at West end of Quail Park HOA private trail looking East.
* The pavement and 6-7 bridges along the approximate half-mile Quail Park trail are falling apart and need repair.
Photo #8: View of end of wood fence and start chicken (type) wire fence where it crosses the culvert.
* The ROW has not been maintained. Invasive plants would need to be cleared for proposed trail.
Photo #9: Looking South to North, view the culvert protruding out of bank and wire fence above it that is placed approximately 15-17.5' into the ROW.
Photos #10: Close up view of culvert and wire fence.
* Bottom of culvert that extends out of bank is rusted out.
Photo #11: View of North entrance to 30th Ave unimproved ROW at Wilbard St. looking South along fence where trail will be established.
Photos #12: View of ROW between culvert and Huber St. looking North.
* Trees have been cut down. Walking is quite easy following the fence line on the West side of the ROW.
Photo #13: View of ROW from Huber St. looking North
* Blackberrys and other invasives will need to be cleared to access the ROW from Huber St. The fence line is straight ahead so walkers will walk on the right (East) side of the fence to Wilbard St.
Photo #14 Entrance to ROW on North side of Huber St. looking West.
* Blackberries and invasives will need to be cleared to access the ROW.
Photo #15: View of ROW on the South side of Huber Street heading toward Maricara St.
* At the top of this street is another unimproved ROW that adjacent neighbors maintain a walking trail with bark chips for walkers going to and from Jackson Middle School and Maricara Park.
Photo #16: At top of ROW looking North at Huber St.
Photo 17: View of the unimproved ROW between Huber and Maricara St. looking South.
* This trail is maintained by adjacent neighbors and used by the community to visit Maricara Park and Jackson Middle School.
Photos #18: View of South entrance to the unimproved ROW between Huber and Maricara St.
* This trail is maintained by neighbors with bark chips.
Photos 19: View of school crossing in front of Jackson Middle School at SW Maricara St. and 35th Ave. in a 20 mph school crossing zone.
* Children are able to cross safer here than at 35th & Huber, a 4-way stop in a 30-35 mph zone that is busy with drivers not stopping for pedestrians.